An apology from the SES

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Thu May 25, 2006 7:17 pm

Mr Lambie's apology is very late but I welcome it. But, as others have said, it now needs to be backed up with meaningful action.

When are the actual perpetrators of the abuse going to apologise? Why are teachers who have assaulted children still teaching at SES-run schools? When is Debenham going to admit that he lied to my face when he said that everyone at the old St James was happy and that St Vedast pupils accepted their punishment? When is Boddy going to explain the statement he made on Channel 4 News: "This was the first time the Governors had really heard of all of this"? When are the people who were supposed to be governing the schools at the time of the abuse going to admit their incompetence (or complicity) and resign?

Mr Lambie wrote: "In founding St James and St Vedast, Leon MacLaren had in mind the best possible principles for the care and education of all the children attending them. Those principles did not include or condone the mistreatment of children and plainly it is wrong that any such thing occurred."

I don't think I believe this. I think that MacLaren knew very well what sort of mistreatment was going on at his schools and that he condoned it. But I don't want to argue about that here. I accept and sincerely welcome much of what Mr Lambie has written. Now, Mr Lambie, act!

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Thu May 25, 2006 9:47 pm

bonsai wrote:Daffy, I think you mean the Education Renaisance Trust

You're quite right Bonsai - thanks for this correction. I have to say that with each school, foundation, trust etc round the world adopting a different name, it is very difficult to keep up with them. At least Scientology calls itself the same wherever they are.

BoeingDriver

Postby BoeingDriver » Sat May 27, 2006 12:43 pm

Well, I suppose it's an apology, sort of. Perhaps more of an apology for an apology.

As Daska points out, an apology well hidden from the "main stream".

Surely if it was a truely heartfelt and sincere apology it would have been mailed out to all past pupils of St. James and St. Vedast, as well as being made readily available to the current students and their parents.

I think the report card on it would read something like:

E: Really must pay more attention and try harder.

But then, I suppose it is a start. :doubt:

Free

Postby Free » Sat May 27, 2006 10:49 pm

<delete>
Last edited by Free on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

josh

Postby josh » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:53 pm

Has anyone been corresponding with the Governors Story and Pickering following their invitation to write to them as part of their 'reconcilliation' process?

I wrote to them, via C Betts, 6 weeks ago, and have heard nothing, despite getting confirmation they recieved it, and after having to chase them, a later message saying they would be replying.

I suspect the problem might be that I also asked what I think were some quite reasonable questions about the process, which I hoped they could answer before I took it further:

I asked them about confidentiality, and who from the schools was involved
Whether Pincham, the school heads or Lambie were willing to be involved
Whether the school would be willing to consider making changes, if it could bring about a resolution,
And I asked them what the objective of the process was

I also said that despite my reservations I was willing to take part in the process, and that I believed the outcome could be positive.

Their complete lack of response just goes to show what an utter sham the whole thing is, as is Lambies 'apology' on a private website without even making contact with those he's 'apologising' to.

About as much of a sham as the 'fundamental review' of School Governors no doubt is - the one thats currently going on behind closed doors within the SES. I just find them pathetic - banging on about truth and wisdom and they cant even have the decency to reply to a slightly dificult question that they themselves invited as part of a process that they instigated.

Return to “St James and St Vedast”