'Shame on You' by Clara Salaman

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
bonsai

Re: 'Shame on You' by Clara Salaman

Postby bonsai » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:14 pm

It's worth saying that there is no disclaimer that I can find as yet to say that the guardian suggested the SES had sought.

Bonsai

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:09 pm

Fictional Character = Mr Mercer (Head of Boy's school)
Real Character = Mr Debenham

Fictional Character = Miss Fowler (form mistress and Head mistress)
Real Character = Miss Caldwell

Fictional Character = Mrs Gentle (Vedic Dance teacher)
Real Character = Mrs David
Not sure about this one

daska

Postby daska » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:33 pm

On the basis that if the same name occurs to more than one of us it probably was that person I also plump for Mrs David

And Will Rasmussen (sigh, drool, etc) doesn't look half as good now as he does in my memories, but then policemen look like babies as well so I guess we're all getting older :-(

Anyone else stay down in Cornwall - I remember the swings in the middle, hadn't thought of that holiday for years

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:42 am

daska wrote:Anyone else stay down in Cornwall - I remember the swings in the middle, hadn't thought of that holiday for years

Are you talking about the Sanders' holiday houses at Mawgan Porth?

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:20 am

Yes good memories of that holiday. Lots of kids running around and having fun down by the caves too. A brief taste of some freedom!

daska

Postby daska » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:21 pm

It really was so long ago that the name of the place doesn't ring a bell but if you show me a photo I might remember :-)

daska

Postby daska » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:55 pm

Fictional Character = Mr Crane (Music teacher)
Real Character = Noel Skinner

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:24 pm

Fictional Character = Mr Wapinski (Head of the Organisation)
Real Character = Leon MacLaren

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Just finished 'Shame on You'. What a wonderful book! It's a very emotional read. I found some passages, particularly descriptions of the school buildings and the mannerisms of certain teachers, quite painful to read because of the powerful memories they evoked. The more obviously fictional parts of the book actually came as quite a relief, although these were also very vivdly written.

Anyway, in my opinion, it's a very well structured, powerfully written and ultimately very life-affirming book. There are even a few laugh-out-loud-funny moments! Very, very impressed. Thank you again, Clara Salaman, for writing this book. I think it's going to be so important for so many people.

daska

Postby daska » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:08 pm

Tom Grubb wrote:Just finished 'Shame on You'. What a wonderful book! It's a very emotional read. I found some passages, particularly descriptions of the school buildings and the mannerisms of certain teachers, quite painful to read because of the powerful memories they evoked. The more obviously fictional parts of the book actually came as quite a relief, although these were also very vivdly written.

Anyway, in my opinion, it's a very well structured, powerfully written and ultimately very life-affirming book. There are even a few laugh-out-loud-funny moments! Very, very impressed. Thank you again, Clara Salaman, for writing this book. I think it's going to be so important for so many people.

hear hear

we've given a copy to our daughter who thinks we give her a really hard time because we won't let her wear full make-up (including foundation, powder etc) to school at age 13... did I even know what foundation was at that age?

littlelady

Postby littlelady » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:06 am

There's also a 4 page spread on her life in the cult in Glamour magazine.

carlynnm8

Postby carlynnm8 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 am

Reading through these posts and something struck me. The SES seems to have lied, lied, denied and lied again. The leaders must be the most arrogant, ignorant people to think they can get away with this. They are doing what they tried to teach us to do - what I think they teach is - to blank everything out except what they believe to be the Truth. So what we see in front of us - especially if its nasty - just ignore it or deny its existence and it'll go away. They certainly have no intention of changing because that would mean having to admit they were wrong - and their arrogance makes them think cannot be wrong because they are living the "Truth". There is massive denial and refusal to look at what has happened and even yet (as with the lady who wouldnt speak at their conference, and the incident with the holy man) they will lie to everyone (maybe even themselves) rather than look at the real truth. This is particularly ironic because its an organisation which is supposed to be teaching the Truth, but is being most untruthful about everything. They are most untrustworthy - because they are based on lies, and they tell more lies to cover it up. Why dont they just admit they are a big money making organisation peddling what they know people are desperate for - a decent life. Most of us are good, decent people that have been involved with them, believing and trusting they were honest. Many may not want to look at the lies they have been told - because it is painful to realise we've been hoodwinked - or worse still - in the childrens schools - absolutely abused. Well done Clara Salaman I hope your courage and honesty rubs off on some of the people that can make a difference in the schools.
><strong>Joanna Eberhart</strong>: If I am wrong, I'm insane... but if I'm right, it's even worse than if I was wrong. >more famous quotes<Stepford Wives

red

Postby red » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:24 pm

Not sure about this one

Actually it's Mrs Debenham, those vedic dance lessons were just unforgettable...

daska

Postby daska » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:33 pm

And before marrying Debenham she was Mrs Hare wasn't she? Yes, I changed my mind after the description of the church service.

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:37 pm

red wrote:
Not sure about this one

Actually it's Mrs Debenham, those vedic dance lessons were just unforgettable...
I remember Mrs Debenham taking us for Ancient History and being particularly nasty to particular individuals in the class and seemingly victimising them for little or no reason. Once she had marked your card you were never safe.

Bonsai

Return to “St James and St Vedast”