What is it like at St James now?

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
bluegreen

Re: What is it like at St James now?

Postby bluegreen » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:13 pm

Good that he's doing mainstream subjects. And I guess he's not just being given bread, cheese and yoghurt to eat. So there are some changes.
St James Girls School 1977-1981

daska

Postby daska » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:51 pm

stiltrubld wrote:Ithe gender 'roles' and/or 'functions' stuff to come from what I could only describe as a fundamentalist Hindu tradition (see quote from Leon Maclaren under topic here 'Laughter is the best medicine' if you are intereseted in what I mean. For instance LM was keen on the Laws of Manu a rather gruesome, in my opinion, ancient Hindu text). This gender related stuff comes later when they reach their teens I think, or used to. I don't know what they teach them now. I have asked for clarification on this since January this year, but so far nothing has been forthcoming. I would ask about it if I were a parent with a teenager at St J now, but don't be fobbed off with the PR presentation that it is just about 'traditional family values'.

The Laws of Manu are taught by the school. In fact they are specifically identified as set texts for the Sanskrit exams in the 2009 Spectrum that arrived this morning :) I guess, from the comments James and others made (way back on Sam's thread 'this is what you want to know'?) that they just aren't referred to by name the rest of the time...

stiltrubld

Postby stiltrubld » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:12 pm

Who picks the texts for the exams? St James or an outside body?
Last edited by stiltrubld on Thu May 24, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
SES: 1990 - 2009 London (Female)

stiltrubld

Postby stiltrubld » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:59 am

Thanks Daska.

Will examine some of this exam paper later.
Last edited by stiltrubld on Thu May 24, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

stiltrubld

Postby stiltrubld » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:08 pm

I have already prepared some notes concerning the Laws of Manu and its influence in the SES. It needs some work and I will post it under a separate topic when it is ready.
Last edited by stiltrubld on Thu May 24, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluegreen

Postby bluegreen » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:02 pm

Interesting reading, no wonder it's contraversial!
St James Girls School 1977-1981

stiltrubld

Postby stiltrubld » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:59 pm

deleted
Last edited by stiltrubld on Thu May 24, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jo-Anne Morgan

Postby Jo-Anne Morgan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:26 pm

The content of that Sanskrit exam reads to me more like a scripture exam than a language exam. It smacks of indoctrination. The statement 'The central idea of the Laws of Manu is the preservation of dharma, law or virtue, in society. Students should take note of this important theme when analysing the text; it is intended that any law mentioned aims at this goal.' That presumably also covers the 'law' governing the treatment and behaviour of women.

It is clear to me that the SES certainly has an agenda with its children's schools. It must know that it will have great difficulty in retaining adults off the street due to its stance on women and the social order of people in society. These concepts are both increasingly alien in our culture. They are not even backed up by any evidence. Trying to keep women in a state of dependence doesn't work. It is bad for the women themselves and I would go so far as to say that it is bad for society at large. Women and men taking equal roles in society provides a balance which has been sadly lacking in past ages. The same goes for any group in society. You cannot keep people in a state of oppression.

Therefore, if the SES cannot retain adults, it must look to its children's schools for its continuation. I guess it hopes that the subtle indoctrination of boys and girls in its single-sex education will ensure they are primed to accept the abhorrent ideology as adults.

As recently as 1990 Sheila Rosenberg was giving lectures on how women are unfit for any jobs but teaching and nursing. On no account should they go into the law or politics or business for example, that way lies chaos, far too emotional don't you know, can't possibly function in a rational way. The SES also doesn't believe in democracy. The more you delve in to it, the more you realise that everything they stand for is totally alien to Western culture and our concepts of freedom and human rights. The only people who appear to have any rights or freedoms in their ideology are heterosexual men.

I don't know whether the non-SES parents of children in the schools appreciate any of this or whether they even care as long as their kids are getting good exam results. I think it's likely, though, that any children who raise an opposing view to the prevailing ideology in the 'Philosophy' class will be ridiculed and made to feel small. That is certainly how the SES deals with dissenting voices in the adult schools anyway.

Return to “St James and St Vedast”