<delete>

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
Free

<delete>

Postby Free » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:51 pm

<delete>
Last edited by Free on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bonsai

Re: St James "Philosophy Courses"

Postby bonsai » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:24 pm

Hey Free,

How have you come by this material and how sure are you of its authenticity?

Bonsai

Free

Postby Free » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:34 pm

<delete>
Last edited by Free on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:54 pm

"the moon which cools everything"

I guess science wasn't Big Mac's strong point.

"This English word 'God' is in fact a corruption of the beautiful word Govinda."

Or etymology.

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:39 am

I can't read more than a few words of this shit without bad memories flooding back of those double Philosophy classes with Debenham droning on endlessly.

During many of those classes he sent us down to the showers to wake us up, and always watched us intently as we stood in the showers. What a pervert.

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:35 am

Tom Grubb wrote:"This English word 'God' is in fact a corruption of the beautiful word Govinda."

Or etymology.

It's really interesting that you mention this. They don't have much regard for etymology unless of course that they can trace it back to its Sanskrit roots.

The obsession with sound and bizarre. I still don't understand how they know what is a good sound or a bad sound.

Having left school, I do find languages somewhat fascinating for the fact that words change their sound and meaning over time. Languages are living things that evolve and adapt and are only useful to allow people to communicate and share understandings.

They didn't half take the interest out of languages by the way they taught them at school and their obsessions with their philosophical beliefs.

Bonsai

MrBlobby

Postby MrBlobby » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:22 pm

Oh heck!
What a complete load of verbal diarrhea.
And they teach this to 5 year olds??
No wonder people upset about the stuff going on around SES/SOP & associated schools!!

Had to laugh at your comment Tom Grubb
"the moon which cools everything"
I guess science wasn't Big Mac's strong point.

You wrote it before I could.
Thats exactly what I was thinking as I read it.

Unbelievable! The only "absolute" I can see in all this drivel is "absolute shite"
Please excuse the way I have expressed myself, but thats the "truth" as far as I am concerned.
I am just calling it as I see it.
In saying all this I do see some good concepts being touched upon, but the good has been twisted & intermingled with so much nonsense that it almost contradicts itself.
ie The facts are wrong and one is supposed to accept this as the truth and blindly believe.
eg.I tell you some good honest things then tell you that you have 6 legs but you just cant see the other 4 but that is the truth (according to me) so do not question it because I said so. Just follow, for I know the truth & I will teach you so that you too will come to know. Bit like a cult.

I personally do not have a problem with people having 'beliefs' and 'faiths'. Blind faith is ok but Blind belief should be approached with caution.
Belief based on faith is different again.

When someone can show me how "the moon cools everything" you might be able to get me to believe in this.

Mods/admin: I do not wish to offend anyone here so please feel welcome to delete/edit this post if you feel it is out of line.

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:13 pm

MrBlobby wrote:Oh heck!
What a complete load of verbal diarrhea.
And they teach this to 5 year olds??
No wonder people upset about the stuff going on around SES/SOP & associated schools!!

I'm pleased you've had a chance to read this and had the opportunity to make some informed choices about whether or not you choose to send your child to one of these schools. The fact is that many parents don't get this opportunity but take on trust that the way the philosophy and ethos of the school is presented by the school itself seems harmless and uncontroversial.

The thing is, that the text in this thread is reflective of the reasoning that the SES/SOP think passes for spiritual philosophy. If you are interested there are a few recordings of some lectures which give a flavour of what passes as so called philosophy that are available directly from the SES website.

Please don't worry about the tone of your post. As someone who has been brought up on a diet of SES material I find it refreshing to here an ordinary gut reaction.

Bonsai

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:00 pm

MrBlobby wrote:Mods/admin: I do not wish to offend anyone here so please feel welcome to delete/edit this post if you feel it is out of line.

As shown in my own post above we're not prudish about language here. :)

ET

Postby ET » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:34 pm

MrBlobby wrote:I tell you some good honest things then tell you that you have 6 legs but you just cant see the other 4 but that is the truth (according to me) so do not question it because I said so. Just follow, for I know the truth & I will teach you so that you too will come to know. Bit like a cult.

I couldn't have put it better myself!

Oh this lot takes me back. What a load of drivel. And we soaked it all up too! Anyone remember the "Golden Age"? When the world was perfect? The sort of SES equivalent to the Garden of Eden? I actually thought it was a recognised period of history, like the Ice Age or the Iron Age.

The whole thing would be hilarious if it wasn't so serious.
Pupil at St James Girl's School from 1979-1989, from age 4-14. Parents ex-members of SES.

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Sat May 01, 2010 8:43 am

MrBlobby wrote:Unbelievable! The only "absolute" I can see in all this drivel is "absolute shite".

Nice one!

Tom Grubb

Postby Tom Grubb » Sat May 01, 2010 9:46 am

bonsai wrote:The obsession with sound and bizarre. I still don't understand how they know what is a good sound or a bad sound.
Bonsai

Yes, they were obsessed with this at St Vedast. We had to spend hours at a time standing and chanting Sanskrit syllables over and over again. These 'lessons' were called 'Sounding'. Seems they believed the sounds themselves had great mystical powers.

bluegreen

Postby bluegreen » Sat May 01, 2010 7:06 pm

I've never thought to question the Golden Age till you said that ET. It was something Dad said so I believed it. Didn't realise it was SES stuff. I thought it was fact. HAha, that is laughable now I think about it.
St James Girls School 1977-1981

Return to “St James and St Vedast”