Lucca Leadership in Ireland

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
mmclo

Lucca Leadership in Ireland

Postby mmclo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:23 pm

Lucca Leadership are very active in Ireland and targetting youth organisations, VECs (like LEAs), local state sponsored youth fora and other groups. I am not comfortable about their SES links which are extensive if you count the respective Irish offshoot (SOP?)

Have people much experience of their courses? what, if any, are the practical links to the SES movement. Is there any evidence of progression even over time from one to another

They have a course in Drogheda next week for a week which is aparently quite full

woodgreen

Re: Lucca Leadership in Ireland

Postby woodgreen » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi mmclo

I have no direct knowledge of Lucca although one of the leaders was coming through the ranks of the SES as a young Secretary/Tutor during my short tenure. I have found quite a few links which suggest that Lucca are quietly peddling the same stuff that the School did/does in Parts 1 and 2. ( To any sensitive ex-members it's the pause/exercise in all it's glory out in lovely Lucca land in Italy i.e. "feel the play of air, the feel of the body etc.etc."). http://www.worldpulse.com/node/8824 Oh dear I'm having a flashback!

Second link is David Boddy's new Sunday gathering where people can go to his lovely house on the Thames for some Silence ( and a spot of lunch no doubt at a fiver a head. Cheese and wine anyone?). http://www.silenceonsundays.com/about-s ... on-sundays
The site mentions him being the founder of Lucca Leadership. etc.

Third link is , yes, back to the St. James Schools - the Sixth Form get the pleasure of the Lucca Leadership programme. Surprise surprise! http://www.stjamesschools.co.uk/seniorb ... sixth-form
Fourth and final is James Boddy ( son of?) a barrister ( keep it in the family) who's entry for his current employer mentions his work for Lucca. http://www.fergusonsolicitors.co.uk/CVs/JamesBoddy.aspx

My own view is "Barge Pole - do not touch with". But hey the authorities are very slow to catch on. take care and happy Easter. xx
Ex-SES Member. (Member for 3 years in late nineties).

woodgreen

Postby woodgreen » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:49 pm

mmclo - there is another link http://venetiaansell.wordpress.com/category/art/page/3/ which is from someone called Rachel in the SES who's brother-in-law is in Lucca - same old connections I'm afraid. All a bit incestuous ( don't think I have spelt that correctly - Daffy can we have a spell check on the site or would that be too modern and lazy ? ( Joke - but it saves time!) xx

woodgreen

Postby woodgreen » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:51 pm

One more mmclo - god forgive me if I have got this wrong - http://www.justthisday.org/support.php

That's Lucca joining up with the SES and others on some non-entity day last year , that was supposed to be about some "world " thing.

If we live in consciousness then they sure do not come through via the SES. But then the SES have their own view of consciousness....... realised or not .........and Lucca are following it. Pity them. xx

Ahamty2

Postby Ahamty2 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:41 am

The Lucca Leadership in Australia has leaders who are the children of members of the Australian School of Philosophy and some of the parents are involved with the running of the day schools under the branches of the Schools of Philosophy here. They present a sweaky clean image of doing social work for the communities.
Maclaren never went along with social work as people's lot was a result of their sanskara, so why help them!

Free

Postby Free » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:02 am

<delete>
Last edited by Free on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mmclo

Postby mmclo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:07 pm

Well as people probably know it's hard to be specific so really just trying to find information about the SES links. I think they're pretty obvious but sometimes others don't.

Suffice it to say they offer a few courses but are very active in promoting them to youth groups and organisations, the one last week was in a grand building owned by the SES org here.

Then there are the follow up calls to some about courses in Italy.

My main concern is how state authorities work with them. One or two VECs have used them, some schools, local authorities and local youth fora (comhairle) that I know of. Would this range of groups use this organisation in the UK and elsewhere?

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:03 pm

I notice that Lucca have recently updated there website and they've added a FAQ. Here are a couple of the questions and answers from it.

Who runs Lucca Leadership?

Lucca Leadership is an independent organisation and is neither controlled by nor advocates any particular religious or political agenda. Rather than teaching young people what to think and what to lead, we aim to teach young people how to think effectively for themselves and how to lead projects that inspire them, in service of their community. Lucca leadership's values are the only aspects of our courses on which we offer a strong point of view. To better understand the sources that inspired these values, please click here to see Lucca Leadership's 'sources of inspiration'

Why does it need to say in answer to this question that it does not advocate any particular religious or political agenda? Presumambly because it looks like it does subscribe to an particular belief system primarily that of the SES!

Some blogs are linking you with the School of Economic Science (also known as the School of Philosophy)? Is this true?

No, Lucca Leadership is not financially linked to or governed by the School of Economic Science / School of Philosophy. Our founder, David Boddy, attended and lectured at the School of Economic Science in London for many years. The ancient philosophy of 'Oneness' studied at the School and elsewhere is one of the many sources from which Lucca Leadership courses draw inspiration.

So is David Boddy no longer a member of the SES? Or is this a deliberate mistake?

This answer is pathetic. This answer makes it seem that only David Boddy as founder has any connection with the SES yet the majority of the teams running the progam are either current SES/SOP members, have been in the past or were educated through St James. This hardly makes clear the amount of influence the SES pontentially has on it.

Why is the idea of 'Oneness' relevant in leadership?

We feel that the solution to the world's issues lies in our ability to create a future that meets the needs of the whole human family, not just a few. For that to happen, the next generation of leaders needs to know how to rise above prejudice and conflict, to co-operate and not just to compete, and thereby to find a common ground with their fellow human beings. As one of our recent participants said, the most impactful thing on the course was "learning from people of different backgrounds, and finding the unity in it".

If this isn't an SES agenda then I don't know what is?

Here is a link to a pdf that the Lucca site links to as its "sources of inspiration". This very much seems like an SES agenda to me.

Bonsai

Jellybaby

Postby Jellybaby » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:47 pm

25) Lucca Leadership seeks an Admin Intern *

Lucca Leaders are seeking an admin intern to work three - five days per week in our office in Ballsbridge, for a period of 3 months. A unique opportunity to work with a Global up and coming Social Enterprise. We believe in providing internships to assist people gain practical work experience, as well as the knowledge and skills to develop their career. A lot of the focus of a Lucca Leadership Internship is on “learning by doing” – you will be given tasks and real responsibility to apply your skills in a practical way to benefit the charity.
Applications by the 13 September 2010
http://www.activelink.ie/node/3131

- not the first time Lucca has been seeking an intern

Jellybaby

Postby Jellybaby » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:56 am

Now they're looking for a Chief Executive Officer:

Lucca Leadership Ireland: CEO

Lucca Leadership Ireland is a fast growing social enterprise that is looking to make a real impact in the world by developing leadership skills in people who want to make a difference in the world through our Transformational Leadership Programs. We constantly strive to innovate and meet the needs of the people we work with, developing new ways to engage with all our stakeholders and ensure our work is as effective as it can be.

Our focus is on running leadership courses of varying lengths for people from all different backgrounds who all share one thing in common, the desire to make a positive difference in the world.
The Board of Directors now seek to recruit a dynamic Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for Lucca Leadership Ireland to build on the strong progress made to date and to lead the organisation in the successful delivery of the next phase of the ambitious strategic plan.
The CEO of Lucca Leadership Ireland will report to the Lucca Leadership Ireland Board, through the Chairperson.

http://www.activelink.ie/node/3432

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:41 pm

Jellybaby wrote:Now they're looking for a Chief Executive Officer:

Hopefully they will take the opportunity to recruit someone as CEO who is not connected with the SES or SOP and hasn't been educated at one of the SES/SOP supported schools. Perhaps then the questions about Lucca in Ireland may go away.

Bonsai

mmclo

Postby mmclo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:57 pm

The Salary level suggests it is not seriously aimed at the open market for such a position

Jellybaby

Postby Jellybaby » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:19 pm

Yes, it's a low enough salary level - I agree. I wonder are they seeking someone who has
no connection with the organisation to represent them in negotiations with various
bodies who might commission leadership training or in media interviews? Or are they
just seeking someone who might grow Lucca in Ireland? Just what are their ambitions
exactly?

Return to “General discussion of SES”