The Story of the School of Economic Science by B Hodgkinson

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
Abel Holzing

The Story of the School of Economic Science by B Hodgkinson

Postby Abel Holzing » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:55 am

A new book about the SES will soon be published (currently on pre-order): "In Search of Truth: The Story of the School of Economic Science"; the author is Brian Hodgkinson (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Search-Truth-School-Economic-Science/dp/0856832766).

It is going to be very pro-SES to judge from the 'Product Description' on Amazon, and considering that the author is a member of the SES.

Extract from the 'Product Description':

"It [the SES] founded an independent school for children which, along with the School itself, has affiliated branches around the world. The School met with criticisms and controversy along the way, and the author deals with these episodes openly. In Search of Truth helps explain why hundreds of thousands have attended courses at the School of Economic Science in the UK and around the world, and why they hold it in such high regard."

ET

Re: The Story of the School of Economic Science by B Hodgkin

Postby ET » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:22 pm

*sigh* Well I suppose it was only a matter of time. I've looked on Amazon to see if it's possible to link it to Clara Salaman's book or put in a link to this forum, but it doesn't seem to be at the moment. That might be because the book isn't out yet. Interesting that it's published by a publisher called "Shepherd-Wallwyn". That name seems very familiar! It would seem that they have set up their own publisher now too.
Pupil at St James Girl's School from 1979-1989, from age 4-14. Parents ex-members of SES.

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:10 pm

Brian Hodgkinson was also a teacher at St James through the worst excesses of the 1980s, though to be fair he was one of the better teachers. However, this will obviously colour his account.

Millie

Postby Millie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:35 pm

Am I alone in being concerned that if I was to read this book, I would feel that the effect of the SES on me was in fact my unjustified reaction to something that it totally innocent and harmless?
My parents are both still very heavily involved with the SES (my dad has been away at the 'Celebratory Events' for 100 years since LMacL was born (?), the opening of the new St James school etc) and the SES/SoP has become taboo when I am in the house, due to the number of arguments that it has led to between my parents and my siblings (my brother went to St James too, the rest of us were brought up with the school teachings inforced). However, their inability to see the negative effect that the SES has has on me [my brother seems to have managed to see the funny side in it all and has perhaps a more healthy view that it was too ridiculous for him to be upset by his experiences now] tends to leave me feeling that my reactions are unjustified. While this forum has helped me realise that this is not a justified opinion, am I alone in my concern that people who are becoming concerned about the SES/SoP's effect on them might read this book and be led to feel (just as the SES have tried to make me feel) that it is MY problem that I feel this way, because I am not accepting the absolute (or whatever else their excuse is).

I hope this ramble makes some sense!

Millie
Involved in SES 1991-2004

bluemoon

Postby bluemoon » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:11 am

Your words make perfect sense Millie.

I was not in the SES as a child (didn't join till about 28 - then spent 20 years in the organisation) so I am not sure if anything I can say will help, but even so you are not alone. I know Brian H from my interest in economics in SES and I found him to be a really nice man, however I agree with Daffy that the book is unlikely to really take any other perspective than their own view.

With best wishes, Bluemoon
Last edited by bluemoon on Thu May 24, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SES London, 1990-2009, Female

ET

Postby ET » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:41 am

Hi Millie,

Thanks for your post. I think there is a good chance you could feel like that if you read this book, but the important thing to remember is that you would be wrong to feel that way! What was done to us as children can never be justified by any so-called "philosophy".

The hurtful way in which our SES-duped families still continue to support and even celebrate with the School despite knowing what happened to us and how their own actions and decisions hurt us is something we all have to live with, but please don't allow them to convince you that anything about their behaviour towards us was either innocent or harmless.

It's important that we don't forget that they all made a conscious decision to use us as guinea pigs for their screwed up outlook on life. They thought that by emotionally (and sometimes physically) beating our "egos" out of us, they could turn us into the model human beings they aspired to be themselves. The psychological damage this has done is irreparable and lifelong. Even your brother may simply be using a coping strategy (turning the whole thing into something laughable) in order to be able to cope with his own pain.

If you need someone to talk to who went through similar experiences to you, but doesn't have the same amount of family pressure (my parents are no longer members, although my grandmother still is), then please feel free to PM me for support.

Keep strong!
Pupil at St James Girl's School from 1979-1989, from age 4-14. Parents ex-members of SES.

woodgreen

Postby woodgreen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Well said ET and Bluemoon. Millie, support is here, even though we sometimes cannot write it down in the way we would wish. I have overstepped the mark on this Forum when it came to families in the SES and have apologised, but the strength of feeling this organisation brings up in those who have been badly affected by it will influence how people post sometimes. Highs and lows, jokes and sadness, all the gamut of emotions.Healthy to have emotions though.

You did not imagine things Bluemoon.

One thing the recent posts have made me ask is: Lots iof "nice" people in the SES including the latest author - and he will recieve some kind of protection from the real questions that need , again, to be asked about the SES. Why are we not recognised as "nice people" by the SES? Because in their eyes we are not i.e.because we left , and thus very swiftly became polar opposites. Maybe they have conversations that say " He/she was very "nice" but now they have left we are not sure. Not "certain" men after all.

Watched the Scientology programme - shades of the SES but unless we can find a financial tie we may have to wish our friends on the net "bon chance".As Mike did with this Forum.

Not waving. not drowning , but by Grand Central Station,not weeping either.

It felt like a festival,.........James Taylor!
Ex-SES Member. (Member for 3 years in late nineties).

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:22 am

Millie wrote: While this forum has helped me realise that this is not a justified opinion, am I alone in my concern that people who are becoming concerned about the SES/SoP's effect on them might read this book and be led to feel (just as the SES have tried to make me feel) that it is MY problem that I feel this way, because I am not accepting the absolute (or whatever else their excuse is)

Millie

Funny enough, this is exactly what my mother (who was still in the SoPP at the time) tried to say to all of the many points I raised as to why bring raised in the school was awful for me. Now I think she mostly understands but this reaction is very common, across the globe and throughout the different schools.

bluemoon

Postby bluemoon » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:27 am

Woodgreen wrote:

Lots of "nice" people in the SES including the latest author - and he will receive some kind of protection from the real questions that need, again, to be asked about the SES.

Very interesting you should say that. I think that's right.

Best wishes, Bluemoon
Last edited by bluemoon on Thu May 24, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tootsie

Postby Tootsie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:22 am

Leon Maclaren said " To speak as though we know something we do not know is to lie." I'll be interested to read the book.

bluemoon

Postby bluemoon » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:03 pm

There's a review out already: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0856832766/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

If anyone can face reading the book I would certainly be interested in reading a review by someone here.

woodgreen

Postby woodgreen » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:34 pm

Hi Bluemoon
I'm with you, will not be reading it.

On another matter,have a bit of feedback, which Daffy has suggested I PM to those on the thread of "SES are an NRM". If my system and Forum skills enable me I will send it. Otherwise , having a rest from the Forum, as we do, but will check in again when I'm ready.
Hope you and yours are OK.

Cheers,take care all.

woodgreen.
Ex-SES Member. (Member for 3 years in late nineties).

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:50 am

Clare Brennan - Amazon Review wrote:For anybody, myself included, who has ever been connected with the School anywhere in the world, it will invoke memories and reminders of what they have valued from their experience; while for those whose awareness of the School is second hand, the book deserves to be read with the same open-minded dispassion the author displays, with a recognition that unity and justice are worthwhile ends to pursue.

I fail to accept that Brian Hodgkinson can be a dispassionate is his account of the school. This is a man who has been in the school for over 30 years, sent his son to St James, was a teacher at St James, and as far as I know remains currently in the school.

Somebody explain to me how this view can possibly be considered objective. Just publishing a book like this could be considered an act of devotion. I guess it will all depend on how critical and honest he can be about where the school has made mistakes.

Bonsai

bluemoon

Postby bluemoon » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:40 am

Bonsai wrote:

Somebody explain to me how this view can possibly be considered objective.

I have already said above that I don' think it can be.
Last edited by bluemoon on Thu May 24, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Millie

Postby Millie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Why are we not recognised as "nice people" by the SES? Because in their eyes we are not i.e.because we left , and thus very swiftly became polar opposites. Maybe they have conversations that say " He/she was very "nice" but now they have left we are not sure. Not "certain" men after all.

This has reminded me that when I was at the SES I was told by Mr and Mrs White that I was a 'beautiful person'. Apart from feeling generally a bit freaked out that an old man was calling me beautiful (although I knew they meant mentally, I was still generally sickened!) I guess that I/we would no longer be regarded as being beautiful, instead being generally 'base', 'blind', 'unknowing' or any other negative terms that I heard used to describe non-SES members.

At the time it was used to make us feel superior. Now it makes me feel slightly horrified by how much this feeling of superiority would make me go along with what was said. I believe that 99% of the reason my parents are still members is because they like feeling superior...
Involved in SES 1991-2004

Return to “General discussion of SES”