why u hate/love the SES

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
TB

Postby TB » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:47 am

Hallo mei_ei,
I am looking forward to hearing this "interesting and working theory of what they're really about, which can be true or not, but relevant nonetheless". Let's hear it.

Christoph

Re: Love hate relationship...

Postby Christoph » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:35 pm

adrasteia wrote:However the Ses do have a lot of property, think of Manderville place in the centre of London, Sarum Chase, Nanpanton and Waterperry house and grounds, home to Art in Action. I'm not sure quite when they got these properties, but they sure had to have a lot of money to get them and then keep them maintained!

I was in the Birmingham School when Nanpanton Hall was offered to the School free of charge by the person who had just inherited it from her aunt who left it to her in her Will. School got the house and gardens, but the inheritee got three or four working farms which were all she needed! She gave it to the School because she had done some of the philosophy in the past and liked it.

I seem to remember the building needed a lot of work (a lot of it done free by SES students of course) and it was too much for Birmingham on its own so they offered it to the London School who have maintained and administered it ever since.

I've no idea how Waterperry House was acquired but I wouldn't be surprised to find it was a similar story.

Return to “General discussion of SES”