What to do about the spam?

Anything relating to the operation of this site.
mgormez

What to do about the spam?

Postby mgormez » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:08 pm

We have all seen the sudden spam here. I don't know why but that is the foreseeable consequence of free for all posting on the board.

I am up to my eyeballs in my study and work and don't want to run around deleting the spam. The choice is either appointing a moderator who keeps an eye out or shifting to registered posters only posting.

Obviously mandatory registration would scare anons which have valuable stories to tell so I feel that should be a last option.

Any opinions on this subject? If you agree with a moderator, who should that be? Without having consulted Tom, I think he would do a good job.
Last edited by mgormez on Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Gormez

Alban

Postby Alban » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:07 pm

Hi Mike,

I guess it's one of the problems with running a popular board.

Is it possible to disallow entering HTTP links apart from by registered users? maybe that would discourage them. I think it would be a fair assumption that a guest with a harrowing story to tell could do it without posting links. Alternatively, maybe a post containing "Http" or "www" or a hyperlink could be put into a bucket for aproval by one of a number of super-users.

Other boards have a number of controls that may help. A "Report-this-post-to-moderator" button would ease the process of reporting the links, and appointing several moderators could ease the strain on your time.

I guess it all depends on what the s/w allows you to do.

Alban

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:40 pm

Mike, I haven't actually noticed much spam recently. Maybe you have been deleting it before I see it.

There was one post recently on p.22 of the 'Experiences at St James...' thread that you deleted, and I notice that members 51, 52, 53 and 55 on the member list http://www.whyaretheydead.net/phpBB2/memberlist.php are all just spammers trying to improve their Google ranking.

I agree compulsory registration will deter contributors and is therefore not the preferred option. In any case, it won't stop spammers registering, as they can do it automatically. Moderation is preferable.

The software used to run this board is quite limited as far as spam protection is concerned, and none of Alban's suggestions are part of the standard package, but there are some helpful tweaks available on the web. I can look into this if you want.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:03 am

Hi Alban, Daffy,

Alban,

- the s/w does have censorwords filter which I guess could be used for http filtering, but that would apply to all users.

- The "report post" button would indeed be a nice addition.

Daffy,

- I have deleted some spam-postings pretty quick. 4 or 5 the last few days. Not many but I think it is just something that will occur a lot more.

- just a minute ago I've deleted the 4 fake users you spotted.

If you can look into it, great! I did a search today for about an hour but found not a simple option. I saw a very exensive green/yellow/red card system and what no. It makes a board look like a traffic light and I don't want to think of the work it takes to change the appropriate files to get it implemented. So keep it simple please :-)
Mike Gormez

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:20 am

OK, I'll see if I can find any simple tweaks for you :)

In the meantime, here's another possible target for termination: the new "Breaking from Abuse" thread. Given the subject matter it's open to interpretation, but I regard it as spam because the web page referred to is largely just a solicitation to send money to the author. In any case, it has nothing to do with the SES, St James or St Vedast.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:06 pm

Daffy wrote:In the meantime, here's another possible target for termination: the new "Breaking from Abuse" thread. Given the subject matter it's open to interpretation, but I regard it as spam because the web page referred to is largely just a solicitation to send money to the author. In any case, it has nothing to do with the SES, St James or St Vedast.

Done!
Mike Gormez

Return to “Housekeeping”