Old Fashioned Ideas spoiling my FUN!

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.

Should women be allowed to wear trousers?

yes
83%
no
No votes
do not care
17%

Total votes: 6

dottydolittle

Old Fashioned Ideas spoiling my FUN!

Postby dottydolittle » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:11 pm

Hello,

Why on earth are we women imposed on flowery dresses? Why on earth do we have to wear skirts? I once asked a very respectable lady, her answer was: "because it is unlady-like to wear trousers!".. ofcourse, it was impossible to agrue back, due to my age, and her respectable status.

Going home on the train i realised that I am the only girl wearing trousers...and it in impossible to find a whole wardrobe of skirts which have to be below our knees, ofcourse showing 'too much flesh', and "prouncing after boys, who we much consider as our brothers".. is indeed a dreadful action, and not at all self respectable at all!

when will these petty rules, and old fashioned views change?

:angel: little missy

Anti-SES

Women

Postby Anti-SES » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:49 pm

Personally, I am vehemently against the SES. However, I do agree with the notion of women not showing too much flesh. In this sex-crazed world, a woman who does not show too much flesh stands out and is more admirable for her strength of will (or, as it may be, displeasing due to her body's lack of form). Of course women should be allowed wear trousers, but they should (like men) be encouraged to dress in a civil manner (when I say civil, I don't mean civil by today's "standards"). "Pretty rules and old fashioned views" are the basis of our social order, law, and constancy in human conduct. It is unthinkable to suppose feeble time has the power to wholly overcome them.

dottydolittle

Re: Women

Postby dottydolittle » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:11 pm

Anti-SES wrote:Personally, I am vehemently against the SES. However, I do agree with the notion of women not showing too much flesh. In this sex-crazed world, a woman who does not show too much flesh stands out and is more admirable for her strength of will (or, as it may be, displeasing due to her body's lack of form). Of course women should be allowed wear trousers, but they should (like men) be encouraged to dress in a civil manner (when I say civil, I don't mean civil by today's "standards"). "Pretty rules and old fashioned views" are the basis of our social order, law, and constancy in human conduct. It is unthinkable to suppose feeble time has the power to wholly overcome them.

How do suppose that a woman shows her 'strength of will' by the amount of flesh she shows? For me, both are totally unrelated. I don't think what you wear, is what you are in the slightest, neither do I judge a book by its cover.

Showing your shoulders and arms on a hot day by wearing a vest top is good enough to keep your modesty. Surely showing the knees doesn't degrade your sense of modesty as much as your arms do? A knee high skirt is just as 'civil' as a skirt upto your ankels.

Petty rules and old fashioned idea's are NOT "the basis of the law, order, and constancy in human conduct"! They nothing but mere obstacles in the way trying to prevent everyone to move on in life. The fact that girls are the ones to look after the house, cook, wash, clean, iron is an old fashioned idea, at the present moment, both work, clean, iron, and in general help each other. The idea that girls have to wear skirts all the time, is absolutely a petty narrow-minded way of thinking, trousers do not make you anyless feminine.

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:02 am

It seems you are a postmodernist, which means we speak on a totally different wavelength. Most women today take pleasure in showing flesh even when it's not a particularly hot day. When I say "strength of will" I mean she is confident enough to know that any decent partner that she finds will be more interested in her rather than her appearance. Don't humour me by saying that women only show flesh when it's hot. Concerning old-fashioned rules, OK they aren't all logical, but most (even if it is just a man giving up his seat for a lady) are respectable and moral. They are only barriers until you understand how and why they came about.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:25 am

In my opinion, if women need to dress "properly" so men won't get aroused, then the men should wear blinders.
Mike Gormez

dottydolittle

Postby dottydolittle » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:28 am

Anonymous wrote: . When I say "strength of will" I mean she is confident enough to know that any decent partner that she finds will be more interested in her rather than her appearance.

Don't humour me by saying that women only show flesh when it's hot. Concerning old-fashioned rules,

OK they aren't all logical, but most (even if it is just a man giving up his seat for a lady) are respectable and moral. They are only barriers until you understand how and why they came about.

My original post was not about the 'old-fashioned' gentlemanly behavior. Nor was it about the 'respectable and moral' ideas.

It was about the aspect of the SES believing all women should always wear skirts. That is what I consider to be petty, narrowminded, and old-fashioned. That was the whole point of my post!

Also, I had no idea girls would dress up, or show more flesh only for the ONE reason of looking for a partner. I certainly do not, and those who I know dress up for themselves and no one else.

Ur humour seems to take you to 'coo coo land' where u cannot even seem to understand my points. Perhaps it's me, I suppose I am not making anything very clear, probably because I see it as being obvious! I did not say women only show flesh when it is hot, what I mean is that we are told to cover up when it is HOT!

:evil:
Last edited by dottydolittle on Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

dottydolittle

Postby dottydolittle » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:32 am

mgormez wrote:In my opinion, if women need to dress "properly" so men won't get aroused, then the men should wear blinders.
]

YEs and that is another point in why we should 'cover up'. MAny people tend to say that to help men control their feeling, we should not provoke them, and in that way we should help them by dressing 'properly' to show the least amount of flesh as possible.

I am sorry, but I belive it should work both ways. Men should have their self restraint (sadly rape cases show that some are just totally hopeless).

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:14 pm

mgormez wrote:In my opinion, if women need to dress "properly" so men won't get aroused, then the men should wear blinders.

If you seriously believe that the majority of men think with their brains, then you do not live in this world. In an ideal world it shouldn't matter what women wear. But this world is not ideal.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:17 pm

Anonymous wrote:

If you seriously believe that the majority of men think with their brains, then you do not live in this world. In an ideal world it shouldn't matter what women wear. But this world is not ideal.

As analogy I could use this: Would you mind when a man steals a new watch because it shines so much, and he has always wanted one like that?

I am aware it makes a difference how women are dressed, and so do the women know that; and use it to their advantage in ie. business dealings. But that is not a invitation to rape a woman.
Mike Gormez

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:27 pm

Would you mind when a man steals a new watch because it shines so much, and he has always wanted one like that?

Yes, but surely you would not show the potential thief your new watch? Of course a woman should be able to wear anything she likes as long as she is not breaking the law (I have never said that there is anything wrong for a lady to wear trousers). My opinions are not from a philosophical viewpoint but from experience. Dressing "improperly" is not an invitation for a woman to be raped BUT the woman should be warned beforehand that it is advisable to wear clothing that is reasonable for the weather and, preferably, does not show too much flesh. Nowadays, most women enjoy attracting men by dressing "improperly" irrespective of the dangers that face them (record sex offences in the UK). They can only be given advice, and it is this advice which is seldom given.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:05 am

Anonymous wrote:
Would you mind when a man steals a new watch because it shines so much, and he has always wanted one like that?

Yes, but surely you would not show the potential thief your new watch?

What about a watch shop? Should they cover up the watches against prospective thiefs?

Of course a woman should be able to wear anything she likes as long as she is not breaking the law (I have never said that there is anything wrong for a lady to wear trousers). My opinions are not from a philosophical viewpoint but from experience. Dressing "improperly" is not an invitation for a woman to be raped BUT the woman should be warned beforehand that it is advisable to wear clothing that is reasonable for the weather and, preferably, does not show too much flesh. Nowadays, most women enjoy attracting men by dressing "improperly" irrespective of the dangers that face them (record sex offences in the UK). They can only be given advice, and it is this advice which is seldom given.

There a couple of ways to look at it. Principally I don't believe women should bear the responsibility for both themselves and men, because the later behave like pigs.

But sure, practically, if I had a little daughter I would instruct her to wear a certain dress code. Not because she should be ashamed of herself but out of protection.
Mike Gormez

the annoyed

Postby the annoyed » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:34 pm

OHHHH get over it MISSY! IF you dont like wearing skirts don't and leave!

TB

Women's dress code

Postby TB » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:09 am

Hallo Little Missy, one of your posts around the manner of dressing dictated by SES has words to the effect that girls dress up for themselves alone and not for others. The idea of dressing up for how they appear to other males and females is of no relevance.

Can I ask you how you know this to be correct? Is it based upon a feeling or have you gone through a logical process to arrive here?

There seems to be two very opposing opinions from females about this. There are many who seem to accept that social feedback is why women adorn themselves as they do, as shown by following fashion, dressing up for special occasions but not when doing housework and so on, while others take the opposite view, that they are independent of social pressures and opinions on how they dress.

[/quote]

Return to “General discussion of SES”