Our Campaign against urs, Parents THIS is what u want 2 hear

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
Sam Hyde

Our Campaign against urs, Parents THIS is what u want 2 hear

Postby Sam Hyde » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:20 pm

I am currently a pupil at St James School -Popes Villa- mentioned in an issue of RTT news apper, for the allegations of assault bought against it by previous pupils dating from 1975 to 1987 (approximately).

I have kept well informed with the developments during the past year and a half with reguard to the complaints and the school's attitude of reconciliation. I can not deny that what was proved was terrible and should never have happened, however these incidents did occur some 30 years ago! Having been at St James both for my junior and senior years (1991-2006) I have been eye witness to the leaps and bounds with which the school has made a very positive development since its establishment.
I joined the secondary school in about 1997/ish under Mr. Nicholas Debenham, a man for for whom I have great respect! Untill his retirement earlier in 2004/5 he has carefully and respectfully nurcherd many in my year, both above and below, installing in all those who came in contact with him a real sense of love and care. Albeit times dont go by without good stories to remenise upon.
In response to the articles and bad press that my school is now receiving, I can only compare the school I know now with what it used to be. Under my own experiences (which I have you know are nothing on those dated 1975-1987) I can wholy testify that the current St James Independant School for Boys ( and girsl for that matter!!!!) is a truly happy place where there is very little bullying (I garuntee), a full discipline policy, a monitored prefects team and fully qualified staff. Many of whom are monumental in their efforts to have formed the school to what it is today. We have a child protection policy with 2 CPO's made fully accessible to boys, Prefects are trained how to manage situations and are alerted to the child protection policy we have in place.
I have attended school at the Twickenham site for 8 years now and will leave with long lasting happy memories of it.

It is on this note that I would like to bring to your attention how well our schools are performing nationally. As a non-selective school, I feel the following results deserve recognitoin:
Gcse league tables:
St James (Girls) 15th/12,000
St James (Boys) 352nd/12,000 97%A-C
Both schools have recently undergone a full inspection, the result of which was gleaming with praise.

I do not want to see any drastic action being taken by the parents as such would be wholly uneccesary under current conditions.
If you dont beleive me, come and see it for yourselves wiht an open mind.
Look forward to your replies and oppinions.
Sam :angel:
ps: MISSREPRESENTATION AND SLANDER IS ILLEGAL, get over it!
thats old now, like me, only 4 weeks to go!!!!!
"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education"

Sam Hyde

DISPATCHES

Postby Sam Hyde » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:34 pm

you dont need secret cameras and investgational journalists to see the truth! If you do, matthew, justice, alban and the rest...then your judgement is obviously heavily clouded, sodd going spec savers, consider getting ur eyes removed!

ps: justice your a nobody!

Justice

Our Campaign against URS

Postby Justice » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:28 pm

Dear Sam Hyde,

Thank you for your charmingly eloquent posting in which you say:

you dont need secret cameras and investgational journalists to see the truth! If you do, matthew, justice, alban and the rest...then your judgement is obviously heavily clouded, sodd going spec savers, consider getting ur eyes removed!

ps: justice your a nobody!

Its a great pity that secret cameras werent able to record the terrible injustices that have been suffered by generations of innocent children at St. James / St. Vedast. But fear not, those victims who are brave enough to speak out will be heard, and no amount of threats or sneering by SES Militants will deter them.

What parents want to hear is the truth, and not SES P.R.

You also went on to say:

p.s. MISSREPRESENTATION AND SLANDER IS ILLEGAL, get over it!

Quite right too! I suggest you remind the teaching staff at St. James of this fact when they are neatly side-stepping questions about the SES from parents and prospective parents. The answers to THOSE questions are what they really want to hear!

As for how well the schools are performing, it is worth remembering that the schools were performing well academically whilst children were being subjected to alleged "criminal assault" over a sustained period!

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:50 pm

Justice! wrote:But fear not, those victims who are brave enough to speak out will be heard, and no amount of threats or sneering by SES Militants will deter them.

You see the problem is, you know nothing of what the school is like now, if you read what I said, I welcomed the investigation. I am neither threatening you nor am I an SES millitant! If I was threatening you, you would know about it, as the case is I am not. Stop winding yourself up and get off your high horse. I am here to make a point, what I have to say is not in anyway clouded brainwashed 'ses pr'. Ask me anything, and you will get 100% honnest answer, however, the school has recieved a barrage of poignent questions from us 6th formers and other years. To which Boddy and Lambie, grind their teeth and tell us what we want to know. Amazingly! there is still a waiting list of 50+ to get into the school, I wonder why??? Oh yessss i forgot, because the parents come, see the school, are bowled over, apply, child gets in and (note this:) attend introductory meetings with the respective headteachers about the philosophy ethos. Now, TRUST ME! I am not one to blindly take for granted what I am told, ask my teachers! I have sat through years and years of 'philosophy lessons' 'scripture' (with ND = JOKES!!!) call them what you want...and I consider my self a perfectly sane, rational, FREE THINKING young man whos oppinons have been formed by experience alone. However what is sad, is when the character is not strong enough to wean through waht hes being told and extract what he feels suitable for himself. Thats when the 'brainwashing' occurs, open ears and closed gobs. This is not the case as has been publically expressed by many of the current pupils in 'question time' or 'periods with Boddy'.
You want me to remind teachers about side stepping questions? Just ask, and you will get their oppinion, after all thats what an answer is, take it or leave it. Dont take it for gospel find out for yourself.....YOU WANT THE TRUTH .... THE current PUPILS!

Seriously, if you think your in such a good position to criticise us and stand for the 'parents' then come and see the place like anyother parent would! Turn down the invitation (fone reception lol ) and you'll prove that you blindly accept what your told for gospel. And I'm sure your stonger than this 'Justice!'

Nice to hear from you.
Sam (Ps: lets keep this civilised)

quote error fixed -- mike

Justice

Our Campaign against URS

Postby Justice » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:06 pm

Dear Sam Hyde,

You said in your last posting:

However, what is sad is when the character is not strong enough to wean through waht hes being told and extract what he feels suitable for himself. That's when the 'brainwashing' occurs, open ears and closed gobs.

I agree, I think it is VERY SAD!

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:09 pm

yeah so in that case its fault of the character, not the teacher. anyway, nice chatting Im off out to a secret CULT S.ES meeting called a churchill house dinner where they ply us with alcohol and indoctrinate us about great world leaders. WISH ME LUCK!
xox

Stanton

Postby Stanton » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:28 pm

I admire your guts, Sam, for entering the lions' den with your fists up! Please do, however, look to your spelling, it's like Nigel Molesworth on a particularly windy day. It's not waht parents want to hear.

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:07 pm

There's so much drivel in your posts it's hard to know where to start. But I will post one quick thing.

"Lets keep it civilised" is an interesting statement from someone who was just accusing us of slander and libel and calling one of our current members a "nobody", using very poor grammar and spelling at that.

I'm sure prospective parents would be very happy to send their children to a school which spits out pupils performing as poorly as you, and several other previous posters who claim to be current students, do.

daska

Postby daska » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:20 pm

Comment removed because I'm feeling threatened by James persistant questioning of my identity and reasons for remaining anonymous
Last edited by daska on Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ses-surviver

Postby ses-surviver » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:22 pm

OK I'll forgive the poor editing skills - I know that you lot don't get that much of an opportunity to use Information technology, but that spellin' - Yow! I wonder what the reaction of the teachers (30 years ago) might have been to your offerings

Sam Hyde wrote:Now, TRUST ME! I am not one to blindly take for granted what I am told, ask my teachers! I have sat through years and years of 'philosophy lessons' 'scripture' (with ND = JOKES!!!) call them what you want...and I consider my self a perfectly sane, rational, FREE THINKING young man whos oppinons have been formed by experience alone.

oh yeah? What experience would that be? The experience of growing up in the 'sane, rational', perfectly normal cocoon of an SES controlled environment in the form of St James? LOL!

Try again in several years time, after you've endured the far more 'normal' existence of University and perhaps even a few years in the outside world, earning a living (NB - working at one of the other associated day Schools doesn't count)

Sam Hyde wrote:However what is sad, is when the character is not strong enough to wean through waht hes being told and extract what he feels suitable for himself. Thats when the 'brainwashing' occurs, open ears and closed gobs. This is not the case as has been publically expressed by many of the current pupils in 'question time' or 'periods with Boddy'.

I still feel that until you have left St James and experienced life outside, your ability to judge this is quite limited.

Alban

Postby Alban » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:28 pm

Sam,

When I walked out of St Vedast (for the 2nd time) I thought along the same lines as yourself - my opinions were my own - borne of my own experiences. Obviously as I grew older and started to test my beliefs out on the real world, I very quickly realised that much of what I based my world on was not compatible with the real one.

Now some of this can be put down to the normal wake-up call we all get when we're first turned out of the relative shelter of home and educational establishments. However, the more I looked, the more I saw that the foundations upon which my emotional house was built were seriously rotten and as a result I was continually plastering over the cracks.

(Guess who built the foundations?)

I've got to say that if I was telling a teenage me this same story, he would've very quickly told me where to get off, so I'll understand if you do too. It is normal for every new generation to shout at their parents, "It's different from when you were a kid" - and of course it is. But what I nor any my peers realised is how little the emotional side differs even if the circumstances are at the opposing ends of the spectrum.

As I said, I don't expect you'll be able to accept any of this because at the moment you're obviously very sure of yourself and probably feel that you're perfectly capable of fending off anything that life throws at you. I am also glad that you're happy. If you're anything like me, then you'll never accept that you may be able to use some help (not even now). I hope that you never do need help, but if ever you should let?s hope that there are still people in places like this who understand what you are going through.

Alban

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:56 pm

yeah so in that case its fault of the character, not the teacher

It is this self righteous attitude of both St James and the SES that is so wrong back 30 years ago and even today.

I believe that character is not something you are born with but is something that grows a develops with us. The attitudes of teachers and anyone in responsibility for a child is huge and can easily affect the personality, confidence and character of a child.

Even if our character is something we are born with then all the more reason to treat those weaker than ourselves with care and respect. It is when people or organisations prey on the vulnerability of the weak that abuse happens. It happens all the time in interpersonal relations, cult recruitment, religion and even normal ordinary companies. It is human animalistic behaviour but if there is one thing St James did teach me it was that I can be better than that.

There are many pupils of St James that go through and come out at the end and are able to cope with it and some are able to cope with the transition into adult life without much difficulty. There seem to be a significant number though that don't. That anyone is damaged by their education is unacceptable. I know it happens in other schools but that doesn't make it OK. And I thought St James was striving to be better than others.

Sam I hope that your schooling has been as great as you say it has been. I hope you also make that transition into your adult life with ease. Your view though is very limited at the moment, as like me you have been entirely educated through St James. A few years out of school interacting with the diversity of people at university or in working life and you may (i sincerely hope not) come to view your schooling differently.

There are some here that contribute to this forum that support the SES, there are others that wish it shut down. There is one thing for sure there are a significant number writing here who feel very hurt (and I include myself) by some of the things that we went through at school and were not supported by those who had responsibility for us at the time.

Those that are hurt are allowed to express their anger just as you are allowed to express yours.

I hope that St James is sincere about reconciliation but this can only come with time and acknowledgement. With acknowledgement must come change else it has not been acknowledged. St James may have acknowledged that the physical chastisement of children was hurtful to former pupils and wrong and this may have been stopped but this is only the beginning. The inquiry did not look at many aspects that have caused hurt and many people feel strongly about.

Remember also you are probably around the first generation of children to been educated at St James without the threat of physical discipline given that caning was only completely outlawed around when you started senior school.

Bonsai

PS You wouldn't happen to be Laura Hyde's (headmistress of the senior girls) son, would you?

sparks

Postby sparks » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:56 pm

Dear Sam,

How many years have you spent at St James?....I'm afraid it appears that your maths needs sharpening; not just your spelling

however these incidents did occur some 30 years ago

1985/7 is not 30 years ago, its 19 to 21!

I can assure you that in 1985/7 such an elementary error and demonstrable lack of attention to detail would have resulted in a good beating...How much has changed!!!

Anyway, welcome aboard.

nilsabm

Postby nilsabm » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:09 pm

I am an ex St. V. pupil from 1978-84 and have been quite disturbed by the lack of belief, empathy and understanding shown by those who are all too evidently still wrapped up in school doctrine towards those who have suffered at the hands of the SES.

What is more shocking is that the school seems to be actively recruiting young, inexperienced and heavily indoctrinated pupils to fight its front line battles for it.

What I find really shocking, however, is the complete incapacity of these 'well educated' youngsters to master the basics of the English language. Is this really improved schooling? The spelling, grammar and syntax used by the current pupils is truly appalling. Perhaps the school would be better advised to bin its 'philosophy' lessons and start teaching the basics necessary to get a job that doesn't involve stacking shelves for Tesco! Perhaps then it can move up to 351st in the league tables - somewhere behind Grange Hill? At least they managed to teach us something useful in the bad old days!

P.S. love reading the malapropisms though!

sparks

Postby sparks » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:31 pm

LEGAL ACTION

Dear Sam,

Are your parents considering taking legal action against the schools for recovery of fees? Judging by the evidence of your literacy and numeracy skills I would suggest they had reasonable grounds for claiming a refund.

It would be an interesting case: Hyde v Hyde!!!

Return to “St James and St Vedast”