"INQUIRY REVEALS CULTURE OF VIOLENCE" Times Educ S

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
Justice

Postby Justice » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:50 pm

Some of you may have joined this Bulletin Board only recently, and may be puzzled by the claims and counter-claims being made about ?Criminal Assaults? at St. James Schools, and questions being raised in the House of Commons by Members of Parliament questioning whether the School of Economic Science (which set up and controls St. James Independent Schools) is a ?Destructive? Mind Control Cult.

An article which appeared recently in the Times Educational Supplement (TES) is detailed below, followed by a link to Hansard, the Official record of the House of Commons.

IT IS STILL NOT CLEAR IF ANY OF THE TEACHERS REFERRED TO IN THE INDEPENDENT INQUIRY ARE STILL EMPLOYED BY THE SCHOOLS. SOME EX-PUPILS HAVE CLAIMED ON THIS BULLETIN BOARD THAT 3-4 OF THE TEACHERS EMPLOYED AT THAT TIME ARE STILL WORKING AT THE SCHOOLS.

TIMES EDUCATIONAL SUPPLEMENT, JANUARY 20TH 2006 (Page 14)

INQUIRY REVEALS CULTURE OF VIOLENCE

POLICE LAUNCH INVESTIGATION INTO INDEPENDENT SCHOOLS FOLLOWING ACCUSATIONS OF ASSAULTS ON FORMER PUPILS.

GRAEME PATON REPORTS

One of the last private schools in the UK to ban the cane has been criticised after an independent inquiry found evidence of repeeted ?criminal? assaults on pupils.

Children at St. James boys school in Twickenham, West London, are said to have been beaten with blackboard rubbers, punched in the face and had cricket balls ?violently? thrown at them by teachers.

A file detailing the assaults which happened in the late 1970?s and early 1980?s has now been passed to the Metropolitan Police.

A police spokesman said its officers were already investigating one allegation of abuse by a 40-year old former pupil at St. James and the inquiry report would be considered.

?There is currently a joint investigation with the police, social services, The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children and education welfare. Current staff at the school are co-operating fully with the enquiry,? said a spokeswoman.

St. James, along with a girl?s school, was set up by the School of Economic Science, a little-known sect which emphasises female subservience, meditation and the teaching of eastern philosophy.

The schools, which charge ?9,135-a-year, list Emily Watson, the award-winning actress, among their former pupils.

An exams league table of the top 500 private schools last year placed the girl?s school 55th and the boys 352nd.

The inquiry, carried out by James Townsend, QC, was ordered by school governors following claims of abuse by teachers between 1975 and 1985. They acted after former pupils posted allegations on a website. Two more schools run by the sect, St. Vedast boys? and St. Vedast girls? which merged with the St. James?s schools in 1985 were also involved.

Mr. Townsend, who said that the inquiry did not have any bearing on the current schools, interviewed former teachers and pupils as part of the four-month investigation.

His report, released this week, said only headmasters had used the cane, normally within the law, although at St. James boys? there was evidence of excessive force. However, in one incident, two classes were caned on their way to a swimming lesson as a ?collective punishment? which the-then head later acknowledged was an ?over reaction?.

He school only stopped caning in 1996 when it was outlawed in all schools, although most of the private sector dropped corporal punishment after it was banned in state schools 10 years earlier.

Prior to 1985, teachers in all schools were allowed to mete out physical punishment such as a slap to the hands or ordering press-ups.

However Mr. Townsend said, at St. James and St. Vedast boys? schools, punishment went much further.

?A small number of teachers had no proper control of their tempers,? he said.

?As a result I am satisfied that several boys were subjected to rough handling.?

?THEY WERE CRIMINALLY ASSAULTED BY BEING PUNCHED IN THE FACE OR STOMACH, CUFFED VIOLENTLY ABOUT THE HEAD, HAD BLACK-BOARD RUBBERS THROWN AT THEM CAUSING INJURY IN SOME CASES, HAD CRICKET BALLS THROWN AT THEM VIOLENTLY WHEN THEY WERE NOT LOOKING AT THE THROWER AND WERE STRUCK WITH THE END OF A GYM ROPE.?

?OTHER STUDENTS WERE KICKED, STRUCK FROM BEHIND, SLAPPED ABOUT THE FACE, THROWN ACROSS A CLASSROOM. WHATEVER THE PROVOCATION, NOTHING COULD JUSTIFY THIS MISTREATMENT.?

?IT WAS CLEARLY UNREASONABLE AND CRIMINAL.?

Mr. Townend did not name the teachers but said they would be identified in a confidential report to governors. The governors were criticised for failing to exercise proper control over the school.

Mr. Townend said the cane was never used at the girls schools although pupils complained of verbal humiliation and occasionally being struck.

There was no evidence of sexual assault at any of the schools, which taught children aged 4 to 18.

In a statement, governors of the two St. James?s schools said: ?The disciplinary policy was not sufficiently supervised during those early years.
?Some physical punishments, that were lawful at the time, were too harsh and too frequent; some acts went beyond lawful physical punishment and were wholly unacceptable. That this could have happened at the schools, even a long time ago, is deeply regeretted.?

One former pupil, now in his mid 30?s, who asked not to be identified, said: ?Kicking, punching and verbal abuse were uniform, even for things that happened outside school. Once, a group of boys met some girls from the sister school at the weekend and were beaten for it on Monday.

Written by Graeme Paton
Email Address: graeme.paton@tes.co.uk
Direct Line: 020 7782 3229
Switchboard: 020 7782 300

Any parent or pupil who has further concerns, past or present, that were not dealt with in this article is invited to contact Graeme Paton.

WEB LINK TO HANSARD, THE OFFICIAL RECORD OF THE HOUSE OF COMMONS:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... olumn_1941

14 Feb 2006 : Column 1941W

St. James' Independent Schools
Mr. Hancock: To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills what recent representations she has received on the mistreatment of pupils at St. James' Independent Schools in London, with particular reference to the School of Economic Science. [47911]
Maria Eagle: The Department has been made aware of allegations of abuse by teachers at St. James Independent Schools for Boys between 1975 and 1985. The matter is currently under investigation by Richmond-upon-Thames social services department and the Metropolitan police. We are liaising with them and will consider what, if any, action is required once their investigation has been completed.

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:54 pm

Looks like you had a productive day then, telling us what we all already know!

Sam xox
thats old now, like me, only 4 weeks to go!!!!!
"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education"

Justice

Postby Justice » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:02 pm

Dear Sam,

I thought it would be useful to highlight once again whats happening in the REAL world, for those people who have only recently joined the Bulletin Board....

...Just in case they have been confused or convinced (god forbid) by the large amount of recent SES propaganda suggesting that some/all of it never happened.

I believe that David Irving has experienced the same problem as you in Austria recently.

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:04 pm

Be carefull what you say, you don'nt know who you're talking to.

You amaze me in your efforts to deny anyone the popularity of positive posts! You are like a little child whose ice cream just fell out the cone!

:agrue:
Last edited by Sam Hyde on Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew

Re: "INQUIRY REVEALS CULTURE OF VIOLENCE" Times Ed

Postby Matthew » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:05 pm

Justice! wrote:IT IS STILL NOT CLEAR IF ANY OF THE TEACHERS REFERRED TO IN THE INDEPENDENT INQUIRY ARE STILL EMPLOYED BY THE SCHOOLS. SOME EX-PUPILS HAVE CLAIMED ON THIS BULLETIN BOARD THAT 3-4 OF THE TEACHERS EMPLOYED AT THAT TIME ARE STILL WORKING AT THE SCHOOLS

Justice, there are at least 4 of these teachers still employed by the schools today. I know this for a fact because Boddy has told it to me to my face, as well as hearing about it from many other sources.

Justice

Postby Justice » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:16 pm

Dear Sam,

You said in your last quote:

Be carefull what you say, you don'nt know who you're talking to.

That sounds like a clear threat to me!

Is that the sort of thing you say to junior pupils? I hope not!

Sounds to me like we could do with a more up-to-date and comprehensive enquiry.

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:17 pm

there goes the second scoop!

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:19 pm

Is that the sort of thing you say to junior pupils

No, what I do say however, is "Do you want a break detention?" If you
want me to treat you like a child I will!

Justice

Postby Justice » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:26 pm

Dear Matthew,

My advice would be to relay that information to the Police and the Press.

I dont want to attack the current schools anymore than anyone else does.

But clearly Ruth Kelly has a duty to establish whether or not any child abusers are employed at the schools.

Also, I think it is pathetic that the SES governors and staff at St. James appear to be goading (and hopefully not indoctrinating!) pupils at St. James to do their "dirty work" for them on this Bulletin Board, without having the guts to speak out for themselves.

I pity Sam and his pals and have nothing against them personally. After all, its not their fault that they happen to be attending a school that was set up and is controlled by one of the most reviled "Mind Control Cults" in the UK.

Sam Hyde

Postby Sam Hyde » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:31 pm

Justice my friend, there would be no point telling the police that now, because they KNOWWWWW and have done along with all the relevant borough authorities since St Vedast was in its first location untill St James's present Twickenham site.
I need no pity from you, you are very carefull in choosing your words so that the latest readers can be reminded of your dead end cause. For all you new ones,

THERE IS NO ASSAULT AT ST JAMES, THERE IS NO INDOCTRINATION, THERE IS NO RECRUITMENT INTO THE SES AND THERE IS NO ON-GOING POLICE OR CPA INVESTIGATION!

Love you all

Sam xox

Justice

Postby Justice » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:37 pm

Dear Sam,

If ALL you say is true, then why do you think that so many people are spending some of their valuable time on this Bulletin Board warning of the dangers of the SES, and their belief that St. James Schools were set up to indoctrinate SOME of the pupils into the SES?

Stanton

Postby Stanton » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:44 pm

I dont want to attack the current schools anymore than anyone else does.

Thank you Justice. Live in the present!

Return to “St James and St Vedast”