WATCH CHANNEL 4 NEWS TONIGHT AT 7.00PM (TUESDAY 14TH MARCH)

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
bluelight

Postby bluelight » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:37 pm

Did anyone else think David Boddy, or as the great Noel Skinner would call him, "David Boady", really showed the SES at it's self inflated and ridiculous self?

In addition did anyone else feel physically sick at the sight of Nicholas "Im just in charge, I dont know what the hell goes on in my schools" Debenham?

On a more concerning point do the parents of current pupils involved in the schools really think a "warning" to the three teachers concerned is actually suitable and sufficient?

stjparent

Postby stjparent » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:22 pm

Not even slightly (I've posted on the thread "Moving schools - taking a child out of St James").

Personally, I put it in the same category as paedophilia - one confirmed incident and they should never work in a position where they have responsibility for children again.

It is essential for teachers to maintain discipline and have the authority to do so (and particularly in the private sector, teachers arguably still have that clear authority) - but plenty of teachers can do this perfectly well for an entire career without ever abusing that power.

mm-

Postby mm- » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:42 pm

I have now watched the news item a couple of times. I feel that in the short time frame allowed, the piece was relatively informative. It did seem to be a little one sided though and once again the abuse that the girls have also been through was not touched upon. One comes away from that programme feeling as if the problem existed just at the boy?s school and as usual Mr Boddy and Co come across as if everything is just rosy now at the schools. Nothing could be further from the truth. There are many disgruntled customers out there.

I think one thing most people agree on is that the schools have changed somewhat (at least where corporal punishment is concerned). However the programme did not tackle the fact that these schools are teaching children an Eastern belief system without the consent or knowledge of some parents. It did not tackle the fact that until recently most parents were unaware of the SES existence and as I have said there was no mention of the mental or physical anguish experienced by some girls. These issues seem to have been totally disregarded by Channel 4. Lets hope that a full size documentary is in the pipeline, as I feel that there is a lot more that can be brought to the attention of the public and most importantly to unsuspecting parents.

The one positive thing that the programme outlined quite clearly, is that the SES is still very much a controlling feature of these schools and it is evident that they will remain to be so. The fact that the board of governors is allowing teachers who abused their position of trust in such an underhand way, to remain at the schools is very disturbing and quite frankly disrespectful to those people who have had the courage to speak out about the abuse they suffered at the hands of these control freaks.

stjparent

Postby stjparent » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:43 pm

parent

Postby parent » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:45 pm

On behalf of my family, friends and those that have followed this story - I wish to congratulate all those past students for the strength and character that you have shown in the on-going process of confronting the truth about the past and forcing others to confront it too.

We are all proud of you and wish you continual strength.

Love to you all!

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:30 am

Tom Grubb wrote:Goblinboy, you can watch the report here: http://www.channel4.com/news/special-reports/special-reports-storypage.jsp?id=1946

I am so damn proud of the former pupils who spoke out and the dignified way they did! Bravo.
Mike Gormez

Justice

Postby Justice » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:35 am

mgormez said:

I am so damn proud of the former pupils who spoke out and the dignified way they did! Bravo.

Hear, Hear!!

Keir

Postby Keir » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:43 am

James I have to say, give it a break.

Watch the piece. You'll see that it deals very fairly with the story. It asks the legitimate questions that we have all been asking on this board for some time and brought our grievances to a wider audience.

It gave your headmaster plenty of camera time to answer the points made by the ex students. He really did hang himself with that performance though, imo.

Brassneck ostrich time methinks

CeliaR

Postby CeliaR » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:15 am

Deleted
Last edited by CeliaR on Thu May 18, 2006 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:08 am

It gave your headmaster plenty of camera time to answer the points made by the ex students. He really did hang himself with that performance though, imo.

Ditto from downunder.

Oh those slightly too firm outer hands of the potter... What a load of bullcrappy! *rolls eyes*

Boddy shot himself in the foot with that line.

Feel for the 'clay' tho :(

and yes, not enough about the girls - but Townend really didn't tackle that one either did he. *sigh*

But virtual tim tams to all those who took part - well done guys and gal! You came across as dignified, thoughtful, reasonable and normal human beings - a marked contrast from the pontificator about potters.

stjparent

Postby stjparent » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:02 am

mm wrote:

One comes away from that programme feeling as if the problem existed just at the boy?s school and as usual Mr Boddy and Co come across as if everything is just rosy now at the schools. Nothing could be further from the truth. There are many disgruntled customers out there.

I suspect that Channel 4 won't be letting it drop there. I have no affiliation with Channel 4, but there's a natural follow-on story about St James today. It might be worth any parents / pupils with current information getting in touch with Channel 4 (anonymously if need be).

Jellybaby

Watch Channel 4 News tonight

Postby Jellybaby » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:18 am

Congratulations to all those who had the courage to participate in
any way in the Channel 4 news story last night, not just those in
front of the camera but those who've helped to get this story aired
in any way. Hopefully other news organisations will now be stimulated
into looking further into the SES in Britain and worldwide. Well Done
to all of you!

mike_w

Postby mike_w » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:19 am

Yep - second that - takes guts to speak out on a sensitive emotional subject on national TV - seemed to be a fairly even handed factual report as far as I could tell

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:33 am

I would like to add my thanks to those who had the courage to participate in the Channel 4 programme. Each of you came across as balanced, reasonable individuals. By contrast, David Boddy appeared to be completely up himself. Is this man really a PR expert? And Debenham was his usual arrogant and cruel self.

It'll be interesting to see how many more parents withdraw their children from St James.

The lesson for those who run St James is this: completely sever your links with the SES or you will never have a school that will flourish.

mgormez

Postby mgormez » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:27 pm

sugarloaf wrote:Good quote but debenham got their first: as in his 1989 newspaper interview: quote ? heavy metal leads to drug taking?.

In the defense of Debenham, perhaps he was alluding to heavy metal intoxication with lead, mercury, iron, copper, manganese, cadmium, arsenic, nickel, aluminum, silver, and beryllium. :black:
Mike Gormez

Return to “St James and St Vedast”