1980s St James had a nice teacher! Shock horror!

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
1980sstJ

1980s St James had a nice teacher! Shock horror!

Postby 1980sstJ » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:58 pm

In the interests of balance, can I just say what a great teacher I found William Wray to be?

mgormez

Re: 1980s St James had a nice teacher! Shock horror!

Postby mgormez » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:16 pm

1980sstJ wrote:In the interests of balance, can I just say what a great teacher I found William Wray to be?

Sure, why not. Any particular reason why he stands out in your mind?
Mike Gormez

Alban

Postby Alban » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:56 pm

Well I remember his son telling us that his dad used to listen to Pink Floyd (it's that band again!)...so he can't be all bad!

...but that was over 25 years ago...about the time of "We don't need no education", although I would imagine that some of the earlier, more mellow albums were more to his taste

Alban

Free Thinker

Postby Free Thinker » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:36 am

If I'm correct, I knew his wife fairly well and also really liked her.

Daffy

Postby Daffy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:14 am

I agree, William Wray was alright. I think I even stayed with the family once or twice while my parents were simultaneously having their brains washed by the SES at Stanhill or Waterperry.

It just goes to show, being a prick was not an essential requirement for working at St James - those who met that description did so because they wanted to be pricks, not because they had to be.

Also worth honourable mentions, IMHO:

* Jane MacRae (I think it was Jane?): gullible for reporting two classes to Debenham for misbehaviour and assuming he wouldn't over-react, in the incident reported by Townend in section 5.5.9 of his report ("There was an occasion when 2 whole classes of boys were caned for bad behaviour on the way to a swimming bath. This was a deterrent collective punishment and on reflection Debenham believes that he over-reacted. I agree.") But otherwise a nice person in a very un-nice environment.
* Brian Hodgkinson: a good history teacher.

ET

Postby ET » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:36 am

Afraid I don't agree about William Wray, but I did like his daughter!

I must add a teacher too though (nice to have something more positive on here):

Gillian Payne (formerly Piper): very nice woman who got into terrible trouble for showing us "Crocodile Dundee" and "Inner Space" in end-of-term Chemistry lessons. She was eventually forced to leave, I understand (although I only have this second hand) but did eventually rejoin the SES. No idea what she is like now, but she was a little bit of sanity in a mad world in those days.
Pupil at St James Girl's School from 1979-1989, from age 4-14. Parents ex-members of SES.

ems

Postby ems » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:26 pm

I'll second that for Gillian Piper/Payne. She was lovely, although her subject was not my forte and I probably frustrated her no end. But she was a decent human being.
I thought Lou Lou Efthimou was a real character. I don't remember anything specifically bad.

Joseph O'Shea

Postby Joseph O'Shea » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:49 pm

Shout mentioned Commander Wilson in another thread and I'd vouch for his dencency.
At Queensgate in the early 80s until I was 7 years old. Classmates included John Frederic Arthur Farndel and Timothy Body and most importantly, James Warham!. My Grandfather used to manage Sarum Chase in London for many years.

bluelight

Postby bluelight » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:24 pm

I remember Mr Hodgkinson as well...... he caught me buying chips in the Wimpy bar opposire South Ken underground station after school and didn't grass me up!! Top bloke. Is Debenham going to send a caning squad to my house in the near future?

Keir

Postby Keir » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:19 am

I think you'll find that the Wimpy bar was opposite Gloucester Rd station :crazyeyes:

Will Rassmussen: the only teacher to smile when Debenham shouted "Willy, stand up" in morning assembly at 33.

One of the few to have apologised in a heartfelt manner and I believe met with former pupils face to face.

Human Being

bluelight

Postby bluelight » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:10 pm

Keir,
You are right...I stand corrected.

1980sstJ

Postby 1980sstJ » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:29 pm

bluelight wrote:I remember Mr Hodgkinson as well...... he caught me buying chips in the Wimpy bar opposire South Ken underground station after school and didn't grass me up!! Top bloke. Is Debenham going to send a caning squad to my house in the near future?

I would dearly love Debenham or Lacey in particular to turn up to my house seeking to repeat the brutality they inflicted on me at school. To say they would regret it would be an understatement.

non-conformist

Postby non-conformist » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:02 pm

I remember Gillian Payne. Absolutely agree with that one. Also Will Rasmussen, Mr Hodgkisnon and had completely forgotten Lou Lou. What a blast from tha past that one is!!!! Not sure I recall enough about her to comment on whether she was nice or not. Does anyone remember Mrs Hamilton? If I'm right she was never in SES and disappeared into the ether. Any idea what happened to her? She was always nice to me and I have a huge amount of respect for her. Also can I just say how nice it is to be reminded of the rare nice teachers we came across.

PS: Did anyone have a problem with Dr Whiteman?

Rob Whiteman

Postby Rob Whiteman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:37 pm

Dr Whiteman
It will come as no surprise to anyone that I am interested by the last PS. My father died in September 2004. For years we had deliberately not talked about St Vedast as there was, in many ways, nothing to say. He never apologised and possibly did not see the need to do so. He continued to teach at St James for many years and one charming former pupil turned up at his funeral and said that he had been her favourite teacher. She was then studying in Brighton.
I would be pleased to hear any comments (positive or negative) that people may have.
Thanks and best wishes to all who may remember me
Rob
Rob
St Vedast 1975-6

non-conformist

Postby non-conformist » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:40 pm

Hi Rob

I always remember your dad being a very inspiring teacher and not part of the typical SES mould. If only there were more like him. He had nothing to apologise for.

n-c
xx

Return to “St James and St Vedast”