School's FAQ booklet for parents

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
xstJ

School's FAQ booklet for parents

Postby xstJ » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:59 am

I've heard that the schools have sent out a booklet to all parents to explain the SES involvement in St James entitled 'Answers to Frequently Asked Questions'.

Does anyone else know about this or has anyone seen a copy of it?

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:37 am

I'd be interested in seeing - anyone got a copy????

TD - if MM still has contacts with some parents at the school maybe you could ask her about it if you are still in contact.
Relatives with long-term involvement in the SES / SOP/ SoEP

bluelight

Postby bluelight » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:32 pm

Are there many references to pottery in it?

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:15 pm

bluelight wrote:Are there many references to pottery in it?

Probably.

I haven't seen a copy of this booklet but if it is a FAQ then I imagine the first question is going to be "Who are the SES?" Now what sort of answer can we expect to that?

bonsai

Temporarily Duped

Postby Temporarily Duped » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:34 am

TD - if MM still has contacts with some parents at the school maybe you could ask her about it if you are still in contact.

I am not in contact with MM. I understand she wants to get on with it, I respect her wishes and believe she is no longer following the board.
Last edited by Temporarily Duped on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:30 pm

I was taking a quick look at the St James website in an effort to discover whether anything had moved on.

It appears that there is a little more information on the "About Us" page and there is now a link to a Frequently asked questions booklet.

http://www.stjamesschools.co.uk/v2/docu ... et-web.pdf

I have to say that whilst this document does at least make the connections between the SES and St James it does have a number of woeful inadequacies.

The booklet refers to the School of Economic Science by its seeming new acronym of SoES. Is this an attempt to dissociate itself from previous criticism or rebrand itself.

It mentions meditation but fails to mention that it is Transcendental Meditation or any link to the origin being the Maharishi Yogi. It also does not mention the origins of Advaita philosophy or recognise its essential Hindu basis and there are no mentions of Sri Santanda Saraswati.

Personally I loathe the way the School of Economic Science refers to itself as an "Educational Charity". What is an Educational Charity?

The booklet fails to mention that Meditation is offered to pupils or that they will be offered the opportunity to join a Foundation Group in the Sixth Form.

Whilst they put across their view that the Lambie has no direct control or influence on the Schools and that they are a separate legal entity I think it would be fair to say that the true picture of the nature of the relationship between the SES and St James can not be understood without references to the Goldschmied 1996 report and Marco Goldschmied's letter to the Inquiry.

There are some good bits about the FAQ. It does point out the Heads are and are likely to continue to be members of the SES. It points out that not all the teachers are but that all teachers are likely to have an "empathy" for the aims and principles of the school.

The final statement on the "about us" page of the website is:

St James Website wrote:This philosophical approach is designed to enhance the capacity to meet today’s needs in a world which too often displays disharmony, misunderstanding and intolerance.

I can honestly say that St James taught me more about intolerance, disharmony and misunderstanding than I have learnt having left school.

Intolerance based on ignorance is one thing but intolerance based on faith or belief, to me, is entirely inexcusable.

Bonsai

Return to “St James and St Vedast”