Hugh Jackman is a member

Discussion of the SES, particularly in the UK.
a different guest

Hugh Jackman is a member

Postby a different guest » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:45 am

Who would have thought? He also got his wife (Deborah Lee Furness) involved. Interstingly the article (printed in an aussie newspaper) reported the name as "School of Practical Philosophy" which is the American name. It's not known by that at all here. The interviewer did ask if it was like Scientology but he just laughed and said no.

Sadly I now cross him off my 'hunk' list - I'll have to stick with George Clooney and Sam Neil (unless someone knows something about them I don't).

eta: and ooh my woodstock avatar is back! Woohoo! *claps hands*
Relatives with long-term involvement in the SES / SOP/ SoEP

bonsai

Re: Hugh Jackman is a member

Postby bonsai » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:36 am

There have been a number of articles about Hugh Jackman being involved in the school. Most date back to 2004-2006

Results from google:
http://news.google.co.uk/archivesearch? ... 2&ie=UTF-8

Bonsai

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:13 am

bonsai wrote:There have been a number of articles about Hugh Jackman being involved in the school. Most date back to 2004-2006

Results from google:
http://news.google.co.uk/archivesearch? ... 2&ie=UTF-8

Bonsai

I've obviously not spent enough time reading gossip mags ;)

What i DO wonder tho is the paper's use of the American school name which Australian readers would not recognise necessarily as the same school that advertises so often in that very same paper.

bonsai

Postby bonsai » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:16 am

a different guest wrote:What i DO wonder tho is the paper's use of the American school name which Australian readers would not recognise
necessarily as the same school that advertises so often in that very same paper.

We all know that "cults" use different names in different places for exactly that reason.

ADG, are you able to post a link to an online version of the article you have located?

Bonsai

Free

Postby Free » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:50 pm

<delete>
Last edited by Free on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Justice

Postby Justice » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:56 pm

Here is an excerpt from an article in "The Age" which made me cringe:

"Jackman introduced his wife to the School of Philosophy, which has schools around the world. It studies philosophies from the likes of Jesus Christ, Plato and Socrates. They have enrolled Oscar in the New York school.

"It's a smorgasbord of great thinkers," Furness says. "It was started by an accountant in London. They give amazing lectures about the inequality of the world and issues I never thought I would find interesting. But when you look at it from a philosophical point of view, it's endlessly fascinating. Who we are in the world changes all the time."

The study of philosophies and discussion about the real world is a grounding influence for them."

You can see the article in full at:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/ ... 93512.html

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:02 am

bonsai wrote:
ADG, are you able to post a link to an online version of the article you have located?

Bonsai

I didn't see the article that Justice posted - and at least it used the correct name as used in Australia.

As requested here is a link to the article I mentioned. And to quote"-

In his early 20s, a friend from drama school took him to a class at the School of Practical Philosophy, a worldwide movement devoted to the study of religious and philosophical ideas drawn from sources as varied as Christianity and Hinduism, ancient Greece and Shakespeare, and how those ideas, those "natural laws governing humanity", can be applied to everyday life. The school grew out of London's School of Economic Science, founded in 1937 in the wake of the Depression. Meditation is central to its practice.

"I'd felt this hole in my life since I had sort of abandoned the strict Christian model and I felt I needed to replace it, that I needed a path. This made complete sense to me."

I had read that Jackman was good friends with John Travolta. This school, it's not, um, something to do with Scientology, is it?

"No," he says with a burst of laughter. "No, it's not."

He has attended a class every week for the past 20 years, wherever he has been in the world. His wife also started going after meeting Jackman.

Their wedding rings bear a Sanskrit inscription he translates as "We dedicate our marriage to the service of the absolute". " 'Absolute' meaning whatever your understanding of it is, the true thing. We had this idea that nothing, no person, no union of two people, no country, is greater than the absolute. That our life should be dedicated to the service of the absolute, the service of truth, the service of God..." Jackman catches himself out sounding like a Hindu Billy Graham and smiles. "So you see, I am my father's son."

bella

Postby bella » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:50 pm

Howdy ADG - just a note FYI, the schools in Adelaide and Canberra go by that name, though it's my understanding Hugh Jackman started in Melbourne.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:24 am

bella wrote:Howdy ADG - just a note FYI, the schools in Adelaide and Canberra go by that name, though it's my understanding Hugh Jackman started in Melbourne.

Hi Bella - long time no see! *waves*

Intersting that schools in different states here use different names. Also, from memory, it was a Good Weekend article (which is only Sydney and Melbourne) that I read - so why use the Adelaide name???

bella

Postby bella » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:29 pm

I guess he's used to referring to the NY school now? Dunno, really.

Return to “General discussion of SES”