Registration - read this if you have difficulties

Anything relating to the operation of this site.
Daffy

Registration - read this if you have difficulties

Postby Daffy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:26 am

NOTE: Please also read the message following this one.

Registering as a user allows you to:

* post on the board
* highlight any new posts made since your last visit
* be notified when new posts are made (if you choose this option)
* post private messsages to other users

To register, click on the 'Register' link at the top right of the screen and follow the instructions. When your registration is complete, you will need to wait for me to manually activate your account. This allows me to check whether the registration is a suspected spam account.

Please note:

* If the email address given in your registration is not a genuine address and bounces, the registration will always be rejected. If you are concerned about your email address becoming public, don't be: it is not displayed anywhere (unless you manually choose to do so in your account options) and only the board administrator (me) can see it. There are plenty of free email providers (e.g hotmail, gmail) if you wish to set up a special address for registering on this site.

* If the registration is made from a country that is a common source of spam (e.g Russia, China, Poland), or the email address indicates a connection with such a country, it will be rejected.

* If the registration looks questionable for any other reason, I will 'force reactivation'. This means you will get an email asking you to click on a link that will activate your account. (Spammers don't seem to respond to these emails, so it's a good way of sifting them out.)

I normally activate accounts within 24 hours. I hope no genuine users are rejected accidentally. If you have any difficulties you can contact me by replying to the email address you receive when you first fill in the registration form.

Daffy
ses-forums.org administrator

Daffy

Re: Registration - read this if you have difficulties

Postby Daffy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:06 am

With immediate effect I have made some changes to how new users register an account.

The reason for these changes is a massive increase in the number of attempted spammer registrations on this site.

If you wish to register a new account, you will need to follow the instructions in the email you receive when you complete the online application. It's a very simple step that spammers won't bother taking (I hope). Any registrations that do not follow this step will be ignored and their registrations eventually deleted.

I hope this doesn't inconvenience genuine users, but the amount of time I had to spend reviewing and deleting the spammer registrations couldn't continue.

Regards

Daffy
ses-forums.org administrator

Return to “Housekeeping”