List of affilated schools

Discussion of the children's schools in the UK.
adrasteia

Postby adrasteia » Wed May 12, 2004 1:23 pm

Beetle in the Box wrote:
adrasteia wrote:I know the parents do have power, but is this separately or together as a unit?
1. What about the parents who are happy with St. James untill they find out about the connections with Ses?
2. Also, do parents who are in Ses have less power or more generally?
3. How much can they know about school politics?

1. I'm pretty sure they are told about the connection anyway. They are invited to attend one of the philosophy courses free of charge if they want to.
2. All parents have the same power.
3. About as much as any parent with a child at any school gets to find out. Parents tend to know other parents, especially the ones with kids in the same class. They don't necessarily know who said what to who in the staff room, I suppose. But then, would you at any school?

1. The 'slight' connection with the school maybe mentioned, but it is up to the parents to discover about the 'scandal' revealed in the book 'the secret cult', the history of child abuse and a somewhat greater connection with the Ses than was made clear.
As it is, parents are given a picture lit by 'holy' light -see school web sites, full of pictures of smiling cherubs.
The website itself and the ISA web site, I feel, are misleading in how they describe the school- they give it more atributes than it has.

2. Think it possibly depends on the parent, think that the ones 'under ses's thumb' would be expected to tow any lines etc. obviously it up to the individual to support individual aspects of the school or not, but there may be pressure?

3. I guess I was meaning those aspects of Ses which invade the school and school politics, which I believe is the case. How much do they know about that? How much does anyone know except people that work there? And yes, I don't quite mean what is said to who in the staff room!

Beetle in the Box

Postby Beetle in the Box » Wed May 12, 2004 2:44 pm

Adreasta, when were you at St James? Have you had any direct contact recently?

adrasteia

Postby adrasteia » Sat May 15, 2004 10:45 am

Why do you ask? Do you feel that my questions come from someone who doesn't know much about what they're talking about, (and fair enough, I am only asking questions, which betrays a lack of knowledge! But I admit questions with implications.) Do you feel you have more current knowledge?

Tom Grubb

Re: Cults.co.nz on Ficino School

Postby Tom Grubb » Sat May 15, 2004 2:50 pm

Tom Grubb wrote:Cults.co.nz lists cults active in New Zealand. The Ficino School (a sister school to St James, run by an ex-St James teacher) is given the following rating by the site: "Danger: The group/person or belief/practice is considered dangerous due to mind control or particularly bad doctrine. These groups (or people) have a strong tendency to damage their members/followers."

This link will take you there: http://www.cults.co.nz/fl.html

Following on from my previous post on this thread, I think I should point out that Cults.co.nz is not as objective an organisation as I would like. Several entries betray a very pro-Christian bias. For example, it categorises Islam as a "false religion"! However, it does have some very interesting things to say about many dubious beliefs and organisations.

Beetle in the Box

Postby Beetle in the Box » Sun May 16, 2004 9:45 am

adrasteia wrote:Why do you ask? Do you feel that my questions come from someone who doesn't know much about what they're talking about, (and fair enough, I am only asking questions, which betrays a lack of knowledge! But I admit questions with implications.) Do you feel you have more current knowledge?

Yup.

a different guest

Postby a different guest » Sun May 16, 2004 1:13 pm

Tom Grubb wrote:Following on from my previous post on this thread, I think I should point out that Cults.co.nz is not as objective an organisation as I would like. Several entries betray a very pro-Christian bias. For example, it categorises Islam as a "false religion"! However, it does have some very interesting things to say about many dubious beliefs and organisations.

If you read their home page they make their bias quite clear - it says "The list is written from a Christian perspective and is primarily intended as a resource for New Zealand Christians. "

adrasteia

Postby adrasteia » Sun May 16, 2004 1:37 pm

Beetle in the Box wrote:
adrasteia wrote:Why do you ask? Do you feel that my questions come from someone who doesn't know much about what they're talking about, (and fair enough, I am only asking questions, which betrays a lack of knowledge! But I admit questions with implications.) Do you feel you have more current knowledge?

Yup.

Ok, fair enough. Can you tell me what you feel I've said that is wrong? I'd like to try and back up what I've said. (Or else I may have written it in a misleading way, in which case I'm sorry and will try to correct it.)
I assume you are somewhere 'in there' now by the way- teacher/pupil/parent/ses member/friend/husband/wife of someone involved?

Beetle in the Box

Postby Beetle in the Box » Thu May 20, 2004 5:20 pm

adrasteia wrote:
Beetle in the Box wrote:
adrasteia wrote:Why do you ask? Do you feel you have more current knowledge?

Yup.

Ok, fair enough. Can you tell me what you feel I've said that is wrong? I'd like to try and back up what I've said. (Or else I may have written it in a misleading way, in which case I'm sorry and will try to correct it.)
I assume you are somewhere 'in there' now by the way- teacher/pupil/parent/ses member/friend/husband/wife of someone involved?

You haven't answered my question.

Postby Guest » Thu May 20, 2004 11:05 pm

Beetle in the Box wrote:
adrasteia wrote:
Beetle in the Box wrote:
adrasteia wrote:Why do you ask? Do you feel you have more current knowledge?

Yup.

You haven't answered my question.

It's implied that it may well be true that she has less current knowledge, but would like to know, if this is so, where exactly she has gone wrong. Stop nit-picking and say something worthwhile.

adrasteia

Postby adrasteia » Fri May 21, 2004 11:33 am

Sorry, I?m merely trying to stay anonymous! ...so yes, was kindof avoiding the question. Sorry :S
Didn't mean to be nit-picky!
I do belive I have quite up to date knowledge and was suprised you said you thought some was 'out of date'.
Hence why I asked what it was you thought was wrong.
If you could tell me, I will try and justify it.
Cheers
Adrasteia

Misty

Postby Misty » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:47 pm

adrasteia wrote:Sorry, I?m merely trying to stay anonymous! ...so yes, was kindof avoiding the question. Sorry :S
Didn't mean to be nit-picky!
I do belive I have quite up to date knowledge and was suprised you said you thought some was 'out of date'.
Hence why I asked what it was you thought was wrong.
If you could tell me, I will try and justify it.
Cheers
Adrasteia

My imagination leads me to think that you must be a teacher at the boys school, or perhaps associated with the boys school in some way. Anyway, where my imagination takes me doesn't matter, for your contribution to these forums is very decent, in many aspects.

However I am interested to know exactly what u feel about the ses...

Do you belive that the SES is really a dangerous "secretive" organisation?

Beetle in the Box

Postby Beetle in the Box » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:04 pm

Sorry. Been busy. This is in reply to Adrasteia's earlier post. Can't get the 'quote' thing to work.

Adrasteia you talk about parents having to 'tow [sic] the line'. What line? The only line that I can see comes from the head teachers. The buck stops there. You also talk about them beng 'under the thumb' of the SES. I don't think this is true. They may follow the SES as individuals, but it doesn't interfere in either the way St James is run or in the relationship between teachers and parents. The teachers do their job, period. Parents have perfectly normal contact with the teachers, just as in any other school. Mostly it's stuff about packed lunches or end of term arrangements. There are parent-teacher interviews, one to one, at which parents get to discuss - wow! - the kids' work. If there's a problem, parents can call in and see either the teacher or the head. My point is, it's all quite NORMAL. But I don't think you want to hear that.

I don't actually think in the end St James is all that different these days from any 'regular' school. It seems to me that you are very keen to find fault with it, and I wondered why. I can totally understand why the people who suffered in the beginning want some acknowledgement of what they went through, and apologies. But I don't get why other people who weren't involved in that feel they have to go on trying to dig up none existent 'sinister' stuff.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:26 pm

Beetle in the Box wrote:Parents have perfectly normal contact with the teachers, just as in any other school. Mostly it's stuff about packed lunches or end of term arrangements. There are parent-teacher interviews, one to one, at which parents get to discuss - wow! - the kids' work. If there's a problem, parents can call in and see either the teacher or the head. My point is, it's all quite NORMAL. But I don't think you want to hear that.

I would agree with you here, although I do not/cannot speak for all parents of St. James!
But I would suggest that this is because a larger percentage of parents are not in Ses: as the parents have changed, so has their treatment, and I would hope those in Ses are treated normally. But if your child's teacher is your tutor in Ses for example, how easy is it for them to step outside that role in school circumstances. I hope easy, and I hope it remains separately dealt with.
I feel there is always going to be a power over parents in Ses, just because they have to give themselves so wholly to the teaching etc. Opinions can often be given through the teaching of philosophy- it can be shaped to back up most things. So the influence may not be obvious.
But I'm afraid I cannot say much more as I have no examples I can give.

Beetle in the Box wrote:What line? The only line that I can see comes from the head teachers. The buck stops there. You also talk about them being 'under the thumb' of the SES. I don't think this is true. They may follow the SES as individuals, but it doesn't interfere in either the way St James is run or in the relationship between teachers and parents. The teachers do their job, period.

I think that Ses does 'interfere' or greatly influence the way the school is run and the relationship between teachers. I believe teachers in Ses must/are expected to tow the party line. Several people have backed up my statement about the 6th form Masters in the Boys school who were ?dismissed? under dubious circumstances.
The philosophy taught at the school is from the Ses, and on the Ses site it states that teachers go on residentials (Ses based) to learn more about their subjects. I think this shows substantial influence.
How are things selected at the school, ie. the drama, philosophy, music? By what is most pure -a sound principle- but pure in whose opinion?

Beetle in the Box wrote:I don't actually think in the end St James is all that different these days from any 'regular' school. It seems to me that you are very keen to find fault with it, and I wondered why. I can totally understand why the people who suffered in the beginning want some acknowledgement of what they went through, and apologies. But I don't get why other people who weren't involved in that feel they have to go on trying to dig up none existent 'sinister' stuff.

Because I feel there are ?sinister? things going on (although maybe not a word I would have chosen!). I would love more than anything to be proved completely and utterly wrong! I?m sorry I cannot be more specific a lot of the time, but it would reveal who I am and others, which I do not wish to do.
Also Beetle in the Box, I was wondering which of my information you though was ?old?, you still haven?t told me! I?d really like to be able to defend myself!

adrasteia (can't sign in)

Postby adrasteia (can't sign in) » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:36 pm

Sorry, that last post was from me too! I seem to be having problems logging in again :S

Misty wrote:However I am interested to know exactly what u feel about the ses...
Do you belive that the SES is really a dangerous "secretive" organisation?

I think it is a very powerful organisation.
If this power is used in the wrong way it can be damaging, especially when it deals with such an intimate, delicate and personal part of the human being.

Return to “St James and St Vedast”